Shelter Client Advocate
The Eviction Defense Collaborative (EDC) seeks a responsible individual to join our team as a part-time advocate and office assistant to work 20 – 36 hours a week. As the shelter client advocate, you will be an integral member of our operations by providing support to our Shelter Client Advocacy program and all past, current and future residents of shelters that become our clients to obtain critical information about our services. We are looking for someone who has exceptional communication and skills, comprensive cultural competency, and a history of working in a collaborative environment.
EDC provides legal assistance and advocacy to low-income and indigent tenants in San Francisco who are being evicted, and the shelter client advocacy program helps to protect the rights of shelter residents who are being denied services. The EDC work environment consists of a dedicated team to assist the clients who seek our help. Please see our website www.evictiondefense.org for more information.
COMPENSATION: Hourly Position of $20.00 to $22.00/per hour dpedent on experience with anticipated 20 to 36 hours per week. Benefits are offered with this position.
- Show our clients respect and dignity
- Represent shelter clients at internal hearings and arbirtations
- Provide clients information on the Shelter Advocacy Program and any additional appropriate resources
- Assist in managing the scheduling of consultations with advocates and internal shelter hearings
- Communicate verbal instructions clearly to clients as needed and contact service providers on their behalf
- Manage the call logs and Arbitration records & statistics with regular updates accurately
- Maintain social media accounts
- Research and expand resource information regularly
- Act as a liaison between the Shelter Client Advocates, the Coalition on Homelessness, and Housing Rights workgroups
- Filing and reporting requirements as needed
- Identify and pursue ad hoc projects as time permits and is necessary
- Must have consistent punctuality
- Must have comprehensive cultural compentency
- Must have previous experience working in an office environment
- Has experience working with very low income communities
- Past experience in customer service work preferred
- Must have profiecient organizational skills to manage client information accurately
- Able to work alone and in a collaborative environment
- Able to walk at least 1 mile daily, utilize public transportation, and walk flights of steps with ease
- Willing to work past 5 pm frequently
- Has a welcoming demeanor, patience, and treats all individuals with dignity
- Spanish language skills preferred
Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Eviction Defense Collaborative
1338 Mission Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
Or AS ATTACHMENTS to:
Applications must be submitted by or before June 20th, 2017
We are strongly committed to diversity and encourage applications from anyone who can contribute to making the EDC a more diverse community. Open to candidates who are nonviolent offenders, veterans, or retirees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Prior shelter residents that meet the qualifications are particularly encouraged to apply. The Eviction Defense Collaborative believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and the agency is committed to not discriminating on any basis prohibited by applicable law.